Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Umm...That's Not Pee

So, tomorrow marks the official 38 weeks, but I just had to make a final post because my WATER JUST BROKE! [Gross details spoiler alert! Skip to next paragraph if you want to be spared the details] After rearranging the pantry and mopping the floor, I sat down for some lunch in front of the TV. When I finished,  I stood up and suddenly felt this warm rush of liquid and I quickly darted to the bathroom. At this point, I thought to myself...bladder incontinence...should've done more Kegals. I put a fresh pair of undies on and to be on the safe side, also put a pad on. I went back to lay on the couch to finish the episode of Nip Tuck. When the episode was over about 15 minutes later, I stood up again and felt the same rush. By this point, I was getting a bit suspicious because I had just emptied my bladder. I went to the bathroom and sure enough, liquid did come out, and in fact, so much had come out that the pantyliner that I just put in was completely soaked. I noticed that the liquid was clear and had no odor. I thought to myself, did my water just break? 

Being the 21st century girl that I am, I quickly Googled "How do you know if your water broke" and read a bunch of articles. Many of the test involved a microscope slide or litmus paper, both things that I used to have access to easily, but not any more. So, I decided to call the birthing center and told them all the details and the midwife said it sounded like I was leaking amniotic fluid and for me to go in to check.

Well, it turns out, the litmus paper turned bluish purple, and the fluids created a crystal pattern on the slide: both signs that it is amniotic fluid. She used the ultrasound to determine the position of the baby, and his head was engaged and his spine is along my right side. So, at this point, I asked the midwife for a timeline and she says that usually the protocol is to have labor started within 24 hours of the water breaking. They sent me home with some herbs, which I am to take 1 teaspoon every hour. They also recommended that I go take a walk and massage my uterus to naturally induce contractions. And apparently contractions usually start 4-6 hours after your water breaks, so I guess we'll see if I'm on schedule.

I had a feeling that our Honey Bun would come early, but I thought we would at least make it to October. I'm starting to grow anxious and excited about the new life that God is about to bring into our lives.

So, I guess that's it for now. The waiting game begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment