Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Week 69.

Dear Nathan,
I'm sad to announce that you are sick again. Seems like runny noses can't stay away from you for too long. Last night was a bit rough. I have finally confirmed that it is just not possible for you to fall asleep on me or with me. After rocking and cuddling for two hours last night, I finally gave up and just put you back into your crib. Within minutes, you were asleep. I sure hope you will get better by this weekend because we will be having our monthly baby party.

Other than this silly cold, things have been great! On Tuesday, we went to Austin's new children's museum and had a blast! I was very impressed by all the super interactive activities that they had for kids even your age. You favorite thing was probably playing with the giant light up pegs. You got so excited as you grabbed a peg and raced to turn around to put it in a spot on the wall. You've been kind of obsessed with lights and fish lately, so this room was right up your alley.



Good news, you are now eating carrots! Thanks for still continuing to try veggies when we put them on your plate. Remember, veggies are good for you and will help you grow to become a healthy and smart boy. For now, you'll have to continue eating your veggies in liquid form. I'm sure you don't mind at all.

I'm also a bit sad to say that you have almost weaned yourself. We have been doing one nursing session in the morning for about 1-2 weeks and lately, you have not asked for it first thing in the morning. I'm kind of thinking you will be completely weaned by the time you are 16 months.

After spending some time at a neighbor's house, playing with her train set, you now have come to appreciate one of your train sets that your grandpa used to play with. You now know how to play with the tracks and trains. You will sometimes even make engine sounds when you are pushing trains or cars around.


Sometimes, during car rides, I hear you making engine noises in your carseat. It is simply too cute! 

Since you are now only taking one nap during the day, I've decided that I simply can't put off cleaning until you nap. So, I vacuumed and mopped the floor with you. You didn't like the vacuum so much. You pretty much dug your head between my legs and followed me around as I waddled around, pushing the vacuum back and forth. When I broke out the steam mop, you were very interested in helping, so I got your popcorn popper out and you pushed your popper around as I mopped the floor. It was very cute.


You are also pretty fearless when it comes to climbing ladders. Once, I watched you climb up after daddy while he was changing a high light bulb. This weekend, while putting the Christmas decorations back into attic, we had the ladder down. You looked pretty interested in climbing up. I stood back and watched. You climbed up one step, hesitated, and came back down. I'm glad you have some sense in ya!

This week, you have learned a new sign: "help." Sometimes I have to remind you to use it, but most of the time, if you need me to help you with something, you will pat your chest and look at me. I think you signed and said "thank you" once. Your word for fish is "ish" and you still like to point out lights by using the Chinese word for light, "den."

We have started to instill some discipline in you. You are starting to test our "No"s by pausing and doing something anyways. When you do this, we calmly say, "we don't [undesired behavior]" and place you behind a closed door gently so that you are isolated from us for about 10 seconds. Afterwards, we open the door, explain calmly the desired behavior and then we do something to make you happier and show that we still love you. We've only had to do this a couple of times and I think it's effective. Are we mean parents? I don't know. But we have to teach you boundaries starting from a young age, and right now I don't know how else to teach it to you. I am against spanking, so I'm using psychology. I hope this doesn't cause any psychological damage in the future.

To help with the drooliness, I've gotten an electric toothbrush that will stimulate the nerves in your mouth, hopefully, making you more aware of this drooliness. You didn't take to the toothbrush at first, but now when it is turned on, I can get brief pulses on your outside cheek. You won't let the toothbrush near the inside of your mouth when it is on. But when it is off, you love brushing your teeth... sometimes for 5 minutes or even longer!


In the meantime, rest up, get better. I love you lots!
Mommy






No comments:

Post a Comment