Wednesday, September 25, 2013

When My Water Broke 365 Days Ago

Dear Nathan,
Exactly a year ago, my water broke around this time. It was then, when I realized that my life would never be the same...and that's a good thing. To tell you the truth, for the first few months that you were home, you were not so fun. All you did was sleep and feed. You didn't smile, you didn't give us any kisses, and instead of feeling like a mom, I actually felt like a cow. But as the months went by, you started to smile, give us kisses, roll over, sit up, give us hugs, play peek-a-boo, cruise, crawl, and do lots of other cool tricks. You are playful and like to joke around with us. For now, you are pretty good at following instructions. You understand and follow "no". You will give things to me if I ask for them. You will sit down when I ask you to. You are super social and will wave to others. You love watching other kids play. You love music and you love to dance. The people who watch you while mommy is working out or at church all love you. I am so proud to be your mommy!

You are also stacking blocks pretty well. We are now up to 3 wooden blocks. You get pretty happy after you successfully stack a block. Here's a link to a video of you working on stacking 2 blocks.


Things like lids are also very interesting to you. It seems like you are now starting to understand how things work together. No longer are things separate entities. You've discovered that plastic lids can snap onto their containers and be separated again. One day you were pretty much entertained for at least 20 minutes as you figured out how to put the lid on and pull it off.

There have been instances where you are accidentally standing for more than 5 seconds at a time. The first time we noticed it was when you were playing with Daddy and the TV remote. You pretty much stood up, and held it over your head. You did the same thing with an egg plant yesterday. In both instances, as you held the objects up high, you kind of let out a victory exclamation. Soon after you realized that you were not holding on to anything, you sat down. So with this new awareness, you are also able to travel a farther distance between the couch and coffee table. You are comfortable with a distance that requires you to take no more than 2 steps to reach the other side. Sometimes you miss and bonk your head on the couch, or worse, the glass table top, but you seem to be ok.

Unfortunately, you have been a bit under the weather this week. First it started out with you just not wanting to eat food. This went on for a couple of days. Last night, I finally got you to eat some pureed stuff. Your stools had been a little on the soft side, but you were wetting diapers normally and your normal self. This morning Daddy comments on how mellow you were. On our way to the grocery store, I heard a sputtering sound and immediately afterwards, I smelled something pretty stinky. Luckily I forgot to refill the diaper bag with more diapers, otherwise I would've driven all the way to the grocery store and would've had to turn right back. So, I turned around and drove home. When I opened up the back door, I was shocked to find you pretty much covered from your waist down.  I grabbed a towel, wrapped you up and stuck you in the bathtub. We washed up and afterwards, we went outside to hose the car seat down. It took me awhile (of pulling on slimy straps) to figure out how to get the car seat out. But I got it out, hosed it off and now it's drying on the sidewalk.

Here's a not-so-graphic representation of the mess. Notice how all the crevices and holes are covered? Let's just say gravity did not suddenly stop working.
I'm pretty proud of how I handled it. I'm proud how well you handled it! You were so calm and still playful. You were probably a bit confused why I stuck you in the bathtub with your clothes and diapers on, but I really didn't know what else to do. Which reminds me, I need to go do some laundry now. 

I may make a special post about your first birthday party which is coming up. But here is a picture of your friend celebrating his first birthday. He didn't quite go crazy with the cake, and your other friend who turned one didn't either. I wonder how you'll react to cake. Daddy wanted carrot cake for your birthday, so carrot cake it is.

This weekend will be pretty exciting. Not only will you have your own birthday party, you will have another friend's to attend as well on the next day. And then in October, there will be two more! Exciting times.

365 days ago, my water broke. A year afterwards, you are sitting beside me, helping me with prepping dinner. Son, we have come a long way, and oh the places we'll go!

Well little guy, I hope you get better soon since you will have a pretty exciting weekend ahead of you. I love you so much!
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment