Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Week 24

Help! I have no idea what happened to my Nathan when it's time for sleep. He used to be super great. When he stared to get the seven mile stare, I would sing a lullaby, hold him for 4 breaths, tell him sleep tight, put him down, a kiss on the cheek and walk out. Within 10 minutes, more like 5, he was asleep.

For the past few days, this has not been the case. He pretty much would just cry and cry and cry. We tried picking him up, playing quietly with him for a little bit trying again. We've even resorted to crying it out. I'm ashamed to say that it took him an hour and a half last night to fall asleep after crying for that whole time. I don't want to resort to crying it out, but if that means he goes to sleep, it may just have to.

Nap time has started to go kaputz too. He took an hour nap while I was shopping today. But when I tried to put him down for his afternoon nap, he just cried. I tried 3 times to put him back down starting from 2-4 in the afternoon. At this point it's 4:15 so I'm just going to wait for bedtime to put him down again.

Teething? Learning about object permanence? Learning to roll over on both sides? These are what I'm thinking. Not sure about teething because if it's painful, he would be fussy during the day, right? But he's a happy camper.
The "I just cried for 30 minutes before mommy picked me up" face.
Onto more positive things, Nathan is rolling over more. He used to just be able to roll over onto his left side. Now, he can roll both ways. He can also roll consistently from his back to his side. He is also able to sit up much better.

He is also starting to get the hang of jumping on the jumpy swing. As I'm typing this, he's jumping a little as he mostly spins in a circle. 

He seems to be very vocal in the afternoon. In the morning, he's pretty silent, but very smiley. 

I made my first batch of baby food yesterday. Sweet potato and a bit of carrot with a tiny bit of nutmeg. I froze them in these silicone trays that I got for brownies (which didn't work that well for making crusty edges) and popped them out to store in a zip baggie. I think this will work out very well for awhile. 
I'm kind of dreading tonight. I may try letting him cry it out one more night to see if he will go to sleep sooner on his own. I pray that he goes down with out lots of tears.

Update: It turns out we were putting him to bed too early. We moved bed time closer to pre daylight savings time and he went right to sleep without a peep. 

Let's see how he naps today.

I think from now on, if he cries or fusses for more than 15 minutes when going to sleep, I will just pick him up. if he's tired, he will go to sleep.  I firmly believe that for Nathan, crying it out is not necessary any more. He knows how to go to sleep on his own and during the times that he doesn't, he's just not tired, or something else is wrong. 

1 comment:

  1. Update: It turns out we were putting him to bed too early. We moved bed time closer to pre daylight savings time and he went right to sleep without a peep.

    Let's see how he naps today.

    ReplyDelete