Wednesday, March 20, 2013

25 Week Old Sitting Duck, I Mean, Baby.

And Nathan can finally sit up on his own. During the past week, he was able to sit up for a few seconds, and then topple over. But this week, he has been able to sit up for a few minutes at a time. In the picture to the left, he's playing with his red bumpy ball. He's been rolling it around and picking it up to put into his mouth.

The world seems like it's a different place as he plays with his toys sitting up. He is so full of curiosity and his facial expressions have an I want to put you in my mouth feel about them.

The first few times he toppled over, he would start to cry. Not because he was hurt or anything, but mostly because of being startled. Nowadays, he just pauses a bit and rolls over (if he does a face plant onto the floor).



The weather is so nice. We've pretty much taken advantage of this pre-oak-allergy time to go explore the outdoors. Now that Nathan can sit up, he really likes to look around as we roll around in his stroller. If he's in the ergo carrier, his head is always flipping from right to left.

Check out his super cute floppy hat! I love it because it has the strap that prevents the wind from blowing it right off.

Nathan is doing so much better with eating too. By now we are feeding him about 3 Tablespoons of food (2 sweet potato/carrot and 1 applesauce) each day. He is swallowing the food on his own and when he wants more, he makes a "mmmm" sound while making a fussy face. We are trying to teach him the sign for more. I think peas are going to be the next food that we try.
Purple Sweet Potato

So for the past few days, we've been struggling with sleep. Now that he can flip over onto his back, he's been sleeping for shorter spans and has been crying himself to sleep. While on my walk on Tuesday, my sister in law suggested that I try swaddling him. So when I got home and it was time to put him down for a nap, I swaddled him and he fell right asleep. Come night time, I went through the bed time routine, included a swaddle, and he also went to sleep without a peep. So, I think we will swaddle for a while longer. It's been so long since we've swaddled him that when I did it, I noticed how much bigger he was. 

Also, kind of good news! Nathan kind of slept through the night. Monday night, he slept from 10:30 and woke up at 2:30. Since he woke up before 3:00, I went into his room and just patted him for a few seconds and left. 10 minutes later, he fell asleep. He woke up about 45 minutes later, but must have fallen asleep quickly because when I woke up again, I realized he was asleep. So I went back to sleep. Finally at 5:30, he wakes up. I go and nurse him and he goes back to sleep. So I guess he slept for about 7 hours without a feed.  
Tuesday night he slept from 10:30 to 4:30, which makes a solid 6 hour stretch of sleep. Awesome! I really hope this trend continues. 

I am really enjoying this mom role. I'm looking forward to all the challenges that this role will bring and can't wait to take them on. We're definitely having more kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment