Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Not So Sweet Sleep Regressions of Week 16

Oh baby, what has happened to you? This week has been a weird week. Our little one has not been sleeping as well as he did in the past few weeks. First of all, he's been waking up every 2 and a half hours at night wanting to nurse, and his feedings are taking over an hour. Then, during nap times, he is unable to self-soothe himself back to sleep after completing a 46 min sleep cycle. We have come to depend on white noise for him to fall asleep most of the time. Otherwise he will cry his head off when we put him down. I'm not quite sure what is going on, but I have a a few thoughts:

Sleeping like a baby under the blanket that his
 great grandmother made for him.
a) He's going through his 3 month growth spurt. If he was born on his due date, this week would mark his 3 months out of the womb.
b) He still needs to be swaddled. He has been breaking out of his swaddle, so he has been sleeping without a swaddle. I think I will try swaddling him tonight to see if that will help him sleep longer.
c) He's becoming aware of my absence. Maybe he's starting to understand object permanence.

As far as milestones, nothing has really happened this week. The only thing that I've noticed is that he tolerates car rides a bit better. Most of the car rides this week have been relatively cry-free.

After searching far and wide, I finally got a flu shot. Apparently the vaccine this year is 60% effective as opposed to the 0% for the past 7 years. (No wonder I got the flu each time I got the shot). My arm was a bit sore the day afterwards, but other than that, I'm ok.  Also, my wrist has been bothering me more so this week, so I decided to go see the doctor. I am officially diagnosed with having carpel tunnel syndrome. It's not too serious, but I'm just taking ibuprofen and wearing a splint for awhile. I must lay off of playing one handed angry birds at night while nursing.

I'm looking forward to this weekend when we will have many babies in the Havlir home. We're hosting a pot luck for our centering group. It will be a super cute event. Can't wait.

Until then, let's hope for a better week 17.


No comments:

Post a Comment