Friday, June 1, 2012

The Story Up Unitl Now

If things had gone according to plan, this would all be finished and we would already have a new addition to our family. We had read that it takes most couples about 3 months to conceive and after 5 months, we were starting to get discouraged. Questions of infertility and PCOS started to worry us: which I'm sure didn't help the situation at all.

A work friend suggested that I try acupuncture because a few of her friends who were in the same situation as us had success after trying it, so I decided to do my research and found a community acupuncture place nearby and tried it out. To make a long story short, let's just say that I started weekly treatments of needles and herbs in mid November and we conceived at the beginning of January. I am now a believer in the effectiveness of acupuncture. My hormones were all out of whack (possibly to to stress) and caused my body to function differently. Not only did the treatment help regulate my reproductive system, I think it helped out with many other parts of my body as well.

After we found out that we were pregnant, the next decision we had to make was where to have the baby. We could go the "traditional" hospital route, or the even more traditional midwife. A friend suggested that we go check out a birthing center, so I stopped by the one I drive by on my way home from work and set up a tour. After the tour, the birthing center suggested that we watch a Ricky Lake documentary titled "The business of being born." This opened our eyes to the business focus of hospital births and so we decided to see if we were fit for having a birth at the birthing center. It turns out that we are a low risk birth and are perfect candidates for a natural birth.

During the first trimesters, I felt really tired. No, exhausted. By the time I got home from work and ate dinner, I was ready to go to bed. Morning sickness came and went, but I never really threw up (except on a turbulent plane ride back from Hawaii). Then came the second trimester. All nausea went away and I started to get my energy back. At 21 weeks, I'm loving pregnancy and can start to feel more intense kicks from the little soccer player within.

At 20 weeks, we went in to get the mid-pregnancy ultrasound. Everything about our Honey Bun was normal and healthy, but the baby moved around a lot and had the legs crossed, making it difficult to determine the sex. But our sonographer worked some magic and suddenly she exclaimed, "Oh, it's definitely a boy! Congratuations." Up until then, pregnancy was surreal. But now, I'm starting to feel a bit more ... pregnant.

No comments:

Post a Comment