Sunday, June 3, 2012

Our Nursery Plan

If you know me, you probably have no doubt about the theme of the nursery. However, I decided to not do a sheep themed room and after countless hours of internet research, I've decided to do an elephant room. Here are a few of the photos that were the source of my inspiration:
I love the clean gray, white and yellow. That elephant hamper is definitely going on the baby's registry.

I love the turquoise and yellow accents here. The fusha is a bit girly, but I'm going to substitute it with a lime green. So, the color scheme of the room will be gray, yellow, white, neutral wood, turquoise and lime green.

I love the floating shelves. Picked up some floating shelves on clearance at the pottery barn for 10 bucks a piece.

I love the random alphabet letters. Instead of having a wall full of letters, I think I will have the alphabet go around the room at the top where the wall meets the ceiling. I think fun adventures lie ahead as I search out random letters.

In the first picture shown, there's a wall decal. I'm going to attempt to make my own African safari tree wall decal (without the elephants) using white contact paper.  

I'm so excited to get started on these projects and can't wait to see how it will end up looking. This is what we have so far:
The changing table, rug and lamp are all from Ikea. Originally I was going to get the rug shown in the first inspiration picture, but when we saw this, we felt that this was way more kid friendly. We were a bit apprehensive about getting it because we weren't sure if the baby would be a boy or a girl. We ended up getting it. Girls can play with cars too, right? But it worked out ok. We're having a boy.  

This is also an Ikea crib. You will not see this in the stores, however. We took on a weekend project and pimped out our crib. We added the side boards to give it a slightly more modern look.

Here's the fabric that I will use to make accent pieces throughout the nursery. I'm going to make the crib skirt, and add some elephants to the plain white curtains that are hanging in front of the window. A few pillows will also be created.

The fish tank from my classroom is going in the nursery. I think the trickle of water is soothing and plus it will be interesting for the Honey Bun to look at once he is older. I'm not sure if I should paint the dresser yellow, turquoise, or just leave it. Any thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. If the walls are going to be grey, I think a turquoise dresser with white knobs would add a nice, somewhat-masculine pop of color. Plus, I love painting furniture :P. You could also paint it bright white and paint the fronts of the drawers turquoise or yellow?

    ReplyDelete