Tuesday, October 20, 2020

7 Months of Social Distancing: Hailey is Done With Diapers...I'm Not Sure If I am Though

Dear Kiddos, 
After a disappointing visit to the Wildflower Center on opening day, we came back a few days later, and found a much smaller crowd. We were able to explore each fort for a little bit and made way for others as they approached. 






You all did a really good job with mask wearing and we kept them on for most of the time. Except for snacking and towards the end of the visit when Hailey was getting hangry. 


You guys picked up some super straight sticks and decided to make wands with them. We had a mini lesson on how to use an increasing number grit sand paper to create a smooth finish. 
Other than that, homeschooling is going smoothly. Hailey, you sometimes join us for school, sometimes you just putz around the house, scheming on how to get my attention while the kids are working.



One day we went to the neighborhood playground to play. The big kids ran through an obstacle course where you guys had to do burpees and push-ups. Hailey, you were brave enough to climb the "rock wall" for the first time in your life. Nathan and Hannah both shimmied up this structure at 1, but you are definitely the more cautious of the bunch and finally mustered up the courage to conquer it! 


We made a quick stop to the church pumpkin patch to pick up some pumpkins. We had to stop and dance with (according to 3 year old Nathan) the best dancer in the world. 

On Sunday, we attended a wedding over Zoom. We all got (mostly) dressed up for the occasion. 
We've been growing mushrooms this week and oh my, they grow so quickly! It took about 7 days to get to this point. 
1 day later. 
The next day (day 9).

We made some Chinese Shao-bing for breakfasts. 

We made pizza in honor of my friend's birthday. (She had asked us all to make something bread-ish, which reminds me that I need to send her the recipe...) Hailey, you and the other kids made your favorite pizza: pineapple. 
Today, you were all very industrious and wanted to get ahead with your work. Maybe I'll figure out something special for you guys to reward you for your effort. 
Hannah finally worked hard, cleaned upstairs, swept, and folded laundry to earn enough money to pay back Nathan. But then Nathan, you did something super sweet and unexpected: you used your money to buy Hannah a new beyblade (toy top that you all are very interested with playing right now). When I asked you why you did it, you said, "Because Hannah is such a nice sister. I want to buy it for her." 

Hailey, you are still a toddler with polar temperaments. At your best, you are expressive, funny, silly and a happy baby kid, sorry, you constantly remind me that you are not a baby anymore. At your worst, the smallest bump or a wrong look in your direction triggers the biggest inconsolable meltdown. 

I think it all boils down to how well you slept, and now I'm suspecting eczema to be the culprit of bad quality sleep for you. I'm going to be more vigilant about keeping it under control and see how that affects your sleep/temperament. 

 I think we are finally done with diapers. After a little over 8 years of changing diapers, Hailey, you now refuse to wear diapers at night and so far have had only 1 accident at night. You are ready, but I don't know if I'm ready... the thought that my baby is not a baby is so bittersweet. 


No comments:

Post a Comment