Tuesday, August 12, 2014

You Spin Me Right Round

Dear Little Honey Bun II,
You have been causing quite a lot of drama lately. At my last check up on Friday, we found out that you were in a frank breech position, with your bottom settled in pretty well in my pelvis. So on Monday, I was scheduled for an external cephalic version (ECV). This is where the doctor tries to turn you from the outside. After getting home, I turned to the internet and started looking up things I could do to help encourage you to turn, or to up the chances of you turning during the ECV. All the exercises pretty much involved me getting in a position where my head was lower than my pelvis. So over the weekend, I went to the pool a couple of times and did lots of headstands. 3 times a day, I would prop up my hips with as many pillows and lay down for 20 minutes. I even tried putting a bag of cold peas near your head to try to get you to move away from the cold. Alas, Monday arrived and I showed up at the hospital, ready for the procedure.  After getting an IV set up, and a shot of turbutyline to relax the uterus, the doctor started pushing. We endured 3 painful tries, she decided that you were not going to move and told me about my options, which pretty much boils down to planned C-section, or emergency C-section. However, she did say that it was still early and there is a small, very small chance that you would flip on your own.  

Today, I tried going to Dr. Ron, who is a superstar chiropractor within the Austin birthing community. He performed the Webster technique on me, which is basically an adjustment made to my pelvis, to make sure it's lined up and not twisted/tilted unevenly and then he pushed lightly on my round ligaments. Within 5 minutes, the procedure was done. For the rest of the day, I've been feeling you move a lot more. Perhaps the adjustment gave you more room to move. As of now, your head is still up, but it seems like it's at a lower spot than it has been. I go back tomorrow for a follow-up and we'll see what happens. From what I've read on-line, it typically takes about 3 visits for a baby to turn.

I'm not getting my hopes up too much. On Friday, if you have not turned around yet, I will still schedule an elective C-section for 8/26, exactly one month before your older brother's birthday. Then, it will all be in God's hand. (Actually, it's been in God's hand since the beginning) Regardless of how we get to meet you, the most important thing is that you are healthy.

I think this whole experience has been God's way of reminding me that ultimately, He is in control. I often forget about Him and try to plan my life out. I am not trusting Him enough. There have been a few instances recently, where I was reminded of the story of Abraham. Each time, I think about weak my trust in God is. If asked to, I don't know if I would be able to sacrifice my children on an alter. It seems like it would be easier for me to sacrifice myself than to bind up Nathan and offer him as a burnt offering to God.

While I know I don't have faith as strong as Abraham, I am thankful to be reminded that God is there for us, and that He has a plan for us. We are simply to trust Him more, and that is something that I think I can work on.

Even though we've had some ups and downs throughout this pregnancy, this just makes me even more excited to meet you and get to know you.

For now my dear daughter, keep turning.

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment