Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Growth Spurt of Week 6

I can hardly believe it, but Nathan's been with us for 6 weeks already! The time sure flies by so quickly. I took him in to his 6 week check up and he's gained 2 pounds (from his birth weight) already. If you count his lowest weight after birth, it's almost 3 pounds. He's also grown about 3 inches since birth. It's scary to imagine how some babies are his size when they are born. I simply can't imagine Nathan fitting inside of me at his current size/weight.

Nathan peeking out from the Balboa Baby sling.
He's on the tail end of a growth spurt period. A few days ago, he was a ravenous baby, wanting to nurse every hour to hour and a half. It was exhausting, to say the least. The nights were the worse. But, I think he's starting to get back to his normal 3 hour feedings and he's sleeping more regularly and I can get things done while he's napping.

As far as sleep goes, I can get about 7-8 hours of sleep a night. I nurse Nathan one final time around 10 and I go to sleep. He usually wakes up every 3 hours for a feeding, with one feeding lasting a bit longer because he just won't go to sleep. When I get frustrated, Steve takes over and Nathan is asleep in 20 minutes. I've learned to just wake Steve up if he's been up for more than an hour. (Instead of trying for 3 hours). I have also tried gripe water with Nathan for his colicky periods at night. I feel like it seems to help with his gas.

He's sleeping now, and I'm hoping he can sleep for awhile since apparently more sleep correlates to more growth. Many of the baby books says that babies will start to sleep for longer stretches at about 6 weeks. I'm not seeing it yet, but I sure hope it comes soon. I guess with a larger capacity digestive system, he can go longer without having to feed. Come on, growth spurt!

After being a mom for 6 weeks, I am starting to feel more confident about my mothering abilities. I feel like I am closer to him as he is starting to respond to stimulus and I can decipher his many cues and behaviors.

A few tentative plans right now for after Thanksgiving:
1. Attend a baby swimming/water class with Nathan. The ladies in my baby love class told me about this bathtime babies class where they teach babies how to be more comfortable in the water.

2. Start sleep training. I have decided to go with the pick-up and put down method. Right now Nathan is co-sleeping with us in the bed. After Thanksgiving, I am going to start to train him to go to sleep on his own in the pack'n'play bassinet. When he is able to sleep a full 8 hours, and able to start to crawl/roll over, I will transition him to his crib.

1 comment: