Monday, May 25, 2020

Week 10 of Social Distancing: Thankful for the Invention of Wheels

Dear Kiddos, 
To think that we've been social distancing for 10 weeks is so surreal. 10 weeks has gone by so quickly and as each Friday approaches, Daddy and I always look at each other and ask, "what, already?" 
One of my roller derby friends started the #austinfrontporchproject and is taking photos of people at their front porch. She's donating the money to Central Texas Food Bank, who is especially in need of extra resources at this time. She did a great job in capturing our family. I'm wearing a dress because my selection of clothing with waist bands that still fit are starting to dwindle. Hailey is obsessed with dresses, Hannah loves to wear all of the beautiful things at once and Nathan is being his usual photogenic self. 
Thankful for all the rain that we've been getting. Our driveway gets filled with art pretty quickly and then the rain comes and washes a new clean slate for us. We are running out of the good colors, so we are now really only left with the broken bits and pink, lots of it.

Hailey, you are now fearless when it comes to the swing. You will exclaim, "not slow!" if we don't push you high enough. 
 On Tuesday I made a reservation for us to go to the Wildflower Center. All the things that you guys love to do were off limits, so I tried to make the best of the situation and let you guys play Pokemon Go as we walked around the grounds. "Just enjoy the flowers and the butterflies" apparently were not satisfactory for you big kids. Hailey had a blast pointing out the different colored flowers and butterflies that were everywhere.
 We did find a tree to climb for a bit.

 See, all the beautiful flowers?
 The next morning, I found the weather was a bit cooler, so I had everyone put on skates. Hannah, you were recovering from a tailbone injury from a fall earlier in the week, so you created a bum pad to cushion your falls. Luckily you didn't have to use it at all during the skate.
Just wanted to put on the record the black dress. You received it as a hand-me-down from a friend of mine and you wear it all the time. Anytime I do laundry I can guess what outfit you will be wearing the next day.
 We found out that the school courts and fields were open so we lugged all our stuff and skated around a bit before it got too hot. Both of you have improved a lot since we first started skating 10 weeks ago.
 We've had some fancy dinners lately, the most interesting probably being unicorn pizza with a side of roasted brussels sprouts, because we all need a little bit of food coloring and chlorophyll in our life.

 We've been going on lots of bike rides mostly in the morning because it's been getting unbearably hot in the afternoon. It's not even June yet!
 On Friday we painted the clay fairy houses that we made last week. They are outside being pounded by a thunderstorm, so we'll see if they survive. [Keeping fingers crossed]
 On Sundays we do church at home. You guys love dancing and singing.
 The past few days have been rainy, but we do get a good stretch of clear weather. We try to take advantage and get out for a walk or a bike ride. Hailey, you are getting pretty good on your balance bike and can even lift your feet off of the ground a for a few seconds at a time.
 I was craving pretzels so we made pretzels today. I made the dough in the morning and after lunch we rolled it out


 We let them rise for a bit while Hailey napped and after nap, we all enjoyed yummy soft pretzels.

 They turned out really yummy.
 And then afterwards, we went on another bike ride.
We have 3 official days of school left. I think we will have a few days of off time, but I have decided to continue home school into the summer. You guys all function better on a schedule and when you all function better, I do too. I will use the next few days to gather your input and then I'll come up with a rough curriculum for us to follow along with some educational goals for us to reach before the end of summer. I think mostly will be focused on Mandarin because I've never been big on teaching you guys stuff that you will learn in school. Our homeschooling will be more enrichment rather than academic.

Our pool just opened up this weekend. I know you all are itching to go, but I'm going to use the next few days to see if I can find a good time when there are less than 2-3 other families present when we go. I know I'm being a little more cautious than what I expect from myself, but when other people's lives are on the line, Daddy and I have decided that we will do our part as best as we can.

Well, that's about it. Thankful for the rain, Disney plus, Pokemon Go and our amazing neighborhood.

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment