Thursday, August 16, 2018

Week 46 and the Last Few Days before Kinder

Dear Kids,
This week has been very task focused. We've been to the car shop, school supply shopping, and grocery shopping. After a few weeks I have finally figured out how to peacefully shop with all three of you. It's been a good mental exercise for me to delicately balance Hailey's nap needs with all the places we need to go.

1. Assign tasks. We were stuck at Walmart for about an hour while our car was getting fixed at the shop next door. We had a short list and when you guys were getting "bored" we stopped by the toy aisles and spent some time there. And then I let you guys ring up our purchase. Luckily the store was empty, so there wasn't anyone behind us waiting to use the self check out counters.
2. Distract with food. We arrived at the shop about 30 minutes before the car was ready. Luckily they have a Kurig machine that makes hot chocolate. It took about that long for you two to cool your hot chocolate and finish them. Hailey took a much needed short nap while we waited.
Hailey, you have become more independent. Being able to feed yourself from the pouch has been a life-changer. You still prefer the pouch to finger foods so I will usually offer you a selection of finger foods and when you start to treat them as projectiles, I'll whip out the pouch and I can eat in peace for a few minutes.

One evening before your bath, you grabbed Nathan's toothbrush and started to brush your teeth. You are really starting to understand how the world around you works. You have pretty much mastered light switches, buttons, and banging things.
Hannah, I don't know if it's me getting more sleep these days or you just becoming more mature, but you have really been a joy to be around. I've been really trying to be gentler and more empathetic towards you. I'm finding that you are like when I was a child; always coming up with interesting ideas for solving problems. Like in the picture below, you decided to take advantage of the torrential rains to clean the screens on the patio.
Sometimes you two drive each other (and myself) nuts. But when I can tell that tension is starting to build up between you, I will separate you and then sometimes it slowly transforms into you two vs. me as you guys try to sneak and play with each other.

I've been trying to work on getting Hailey into a good sleep rhythm, so I will usually ask you two to do something quietly while I go through the bedtime routine with her. (Hailey is so sensitive to your voices!) Sometimes you two have dance parties in our bedroom, other times you two are coloring, and then recently, I see moments when Nathan, you are reading to Hannah. My heart just melts. 
But some days you two end up wrestling each other and chasing each other around the house. Overall, I'm thankful that you two play pretty well together.

While temperatures have slowly creeped back into the triple digits again, we took advantage of the "cold front" that brought the rains and spent some time outside. Hailey you are getting braver with crawling around and you absolutely love swinging on the swings while sitting on my lap. You have no fear and love it when I go high. You shriek excitedly and flap your fists.

Love this picture because all three of you are in it. 
We've started to strap you down to the high chair because you will do things like this. It's pretty amazing how you have not fallen yet [knock on wood] but I think you have pretty good balance.
Here, you are straddling the armrest, and while you are doing so, you are even able to reach back to pick up a bite of grilled cheese sandwich!
This summer I've been really consciously trying to limit screen time for you guys and myself. One day this week, we made space paintings. I worked one step ahead of you two, demonstrating the process and you two just followed along on your own paper. I've been trying to experience life with you, instead of just watching you from the sidelines. Besides sitting down and doing things with you, this also means reading a book at your pace, stopping to look at the pictures, wonder, and ask questions. I used to get so annoyed when you guys would stop and interrupt the story with questions, but I've been trying to stop and be more in the moment with you guys. It's really made my experience as a stay at home mom more meaningful. Instead of just watching you guys, I'm really getting to connect and get to know you two a little bit better. 


I think these turned out pretty good, don't you? They also look even cooler when hung on the window. The light shines through the planets (and spaceship) beautifully. This project was cool in that it sparked a lot of conversation about space. Hannah, you proclaimed that space is your favorite because it is black and your current favorite color is black.


So Nathan, today we went to meet the teacher night at your school. You didn't get to meet your teacher because she is out of town until mid-week next week, but at least you got to check out your classroom and meet a couple of new classmates.

I didn't think this was going to be such a big deal, you going into Kindergarten, but after talking with many people over the past few weeks, every parent remembers that day when their child goes to Kindergarten...even if it happened over 50 years ago! I don't remember too much about my first day of Kinder, so I'm thinking it's more of a milestone for us parents than it is for you kids. 5 more days until your official first day, so I may make a special post about all the feelings that will come with that.

You are a sweet kid, super smart, and outgoing. What I am worried about the most is how you will handle situations where you are being treated unfairly (for example when a kid doesn't take turns). Right now, you tend to act out angrily if I don't intervene so perhaps you will learn in Kindergarten how to let little things not bother you too much.

I'm starting to think that you are like me, an INFJ personality. I used to think you were very extroverted, but lately, you have shared that you prefer to play in small groups and if there are too many kids, things just get too crazy. You are definitely not shy, but I'm starting to understand for myself how introversion does not necessarily mean shy. Today we watched a few old home videos and it's been so interesting to see how you have matured, but still have the little mannerisms that you exhibited since toddlerhood.
Well, that's it for now. We have a super exciting weekend coming up. Hannah turns 4!!! We are trying out an "party is your age" philosophy (for now) and so Hannah, you have picked 3 friends and the 4 of you will enjoy an afternoon of princess tea party.

Nathan, we've started to talk about your birthday since it is also coming up and you only want to invite one friend over. (see what I mean about the introverted tendencies?) That's totally ok with me!

Well, I'm going to try to take as many pictures these next few days and update everyone again next week!

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment