Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Grandparents, Children's Museum, New Tooth, and More


 Dear Kiddos,
After Auntie Momo left last week, we had a few days to ourselves before we had more visitors. But before grandma and grandpa came to visit, we finally got our "mudroom" furniture installed. Since our "dining room" is barely big enough to fit a small ikea round table, we decided to transform the space into a mudroom/homework/craft center. When the carpenter arrived, you guys were so excited to help and were so disappointed when I told you that you two needed to stay away. Luckily, the carpenter, Chris Duncanson, was totally cool with letting you guys watch him pretty much the whole time he was here. He explained to you guys his tools and what he was doing so patiently. Apparently that was how he got into carpentry. When he was a kid, he watched people remodel his house, helped a bit when he was older and decided to go into the trade.

 Saturday morning, Daddy took the big kids to home depot for their kid's workshop. You guys built easy bookends and then when you got home, grandma and grandpa arrived. We took it easy and just stayed home that day.

Big News: Hailey slept through the night! Hailey slept from 8:00 all the way until 6:00! So far it has only happened once, but I'll take it!

On Sunday while I was at roller derby practice, you guys went to church. We all met up at Rudy's for lunch. While I was scooping out creamed corn for the big kids, Hailey got a hold of the pickle pile and snuck a pickle. Hailey, you seem to like the flavor of the pickle...
 Afterwards you all went to Bob Bullock Museum and then Hailey and I went home for naps. Daddy didn't take any pictures of that adventure, but I heard that you guys watched a pretty cool 4D video.

On Monday we went to the McKenna Museum in New Braunfels. Nathan, you were complaining about how it wasn't going to be any fun, but after we arrived, you ran around like a kid in a candy shop.


 Hailey, you worked on your climbing and crawling skills. The last time we were here, Hannah was only 3 months old. (And yes, I meant Hannah).

photo credit: D. Collins
 Most of our Summer Fun School friends also met up with us at the museum. You guys played for a little while, but then broke off and did you own thing.



photo credit: D. Collins
 Hannah's favorite spot was probably the pretend grocery store. Hailey enjoyed riding around in the grocery cart.

 There was also a art area with a station where you could paint your own face!

 You both wanted to paint my face... I settled for arm tattoos.
 I had drawn a sheep on myself, and for fun, Nathan added a large body of water under my sheep...hey!

 Hannah, you drew spiders and lady bugs, because who doesn't love some creepy crawlies on your arm?
 When we got back home that afternoon, we thawed out our last pack of 3 year old cherries from Door County and made a cherry pie. It was quite delicious.
 While the pie was baking, Hannah, you and I had a mommy and daughter date at the pool. I feel like I need to have these occasionally with you because you are so independent, I  easily overlook you and tend to spend more time with Hailey, or play board games (which you are not a fan of right now) with Nathan.

 Yesterday afternoon grandma and grandpa left. In the morning, you guys got to spend some time together at the park while I took Hailey to get my oil changed and car inspection completed. I was so excited about not having to take all three of you to the mechanic, but the window tint on the car (from when we first bought it 4 years ago) did not pass the inspection, so I'll have to take you three back to the mechanic soon. Not looking forward to that!

On our afternoon walk yesterday, I noticed these black berries scattered on the ground. I first thought that they were muscat grapes, but upon closer inspection, I realized that they were Texas persimmons. I picked one off the tree and tried it. It tasted so sweet! So after dinner, we went back out to forage for some more of the juicy, sweet fruit. There's just something so satisfying about foraging.


 In the end, we probably picked about 2 dozen little persimmons, but it was a fun experience.

Today we had a Kindergarten playdate at Baldwin. You guys even got a chance to see what it is like to eat lunch in a school cafeteria! Nathan, you did a great job of looking around to see if anyone around us had peanut butter.
Hailey and Hannah came along as well. Hailey just spent the time looking around and Hannah reminded me of myself as a kid, wanting mom to come with me in a new social situation. Nathan ran around, but I was surprised that you didn't really interact with other kids. You did walk up to a group of kids and immediately asked if anyone was allergic to peanut butter. 

Hailey, you have been sleeping longer stretches at night, which I think also comes with new abilities. You are really getting to be more coordinated with your fingers and you also seem to understand cause and effect. 

 You got a new teeth in this past week, (3rd (upper right) incisors) and this time it has not bothered you as much as the first 4 teeth did. You have been chewing on your fingers, drooling a lot, and when you get slightly fussy, I give you a toy to chew on and you seem to feel better.
A cool trick that you can do is turn off the lights. We have to watch you because this morning, you somehow wriggled your way out of the high chair straps, stood up, and turned off the kitchen lights. And then later that morning, you turned the switch on a surge protector off. We have to watch you, you sneaky baby! 
I can't believe that there is only 1.5 weeks of summer left! Once school starts things will be a bit less crazy at home, but will be slightly more busy in general. So, I think we will make the most of what we have!
Until next week,
Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment