Wednesday, October 7, 2015

My Sweet Little Boy

Dear Nathan,
I wanted to make this a separate post because something happened today that I thought was pretty worthy to be noted. After naps, I was nursing Hannah and you had gotten hold of a pen and scribbled across the couch. Before I could tell you to stop, you had already made 2 passes back and forth on the couch cushion.

I sternly told you to go to time out, which you did and remorsefully cried for a few minutes while I cleaned the mess up. Afterwards, we had a little talk. It was probably the first time you have expressed shame. I had asked you why you went to time out and usually, you quickly respond with the correct reason, but today, you replied with, "I not want to ask you question." which I interpreted as, "I don't want to answer your question." I knew you were feeling shameful so I said, "You are sorry about drawing on the couch. Is that why you went to time out?" You sadly nodded. We finished our conversation and I went on to start clearning the dishwasher. You came back to me and asked me a question. I was still feeling a little flustered, so I responded with, "Nathan, I'm still a bit upset at you right now so I don't want to talk to you." You stood there for a moment, deep in thought, and then with a twinkle in your eye, you brought your thumbs to your ears, fingers splayed open, and stuck your tongue out and wiggled it back in forth, making a silly face and sound.

I quickly burst into laughter and you asked me, "You happy and talk to me now?" I could only respond with "I'm not grumpy anymore. Thank you for making me laugh."

Last week, we had talked about ways to cheer a friend (or sister) up when they are crying. At Hannah's blood draw, you practiced this and today, you applied this same tactic in a different scenario. That took some pretty good problem solving skills.

I love how you are still so innocent, so pure, and your motives (though mischevious) are never malicious. I wish I can protect you from the corruption of this world, but I can't.

I love you so much and am so proud to be your Mommy.

With Love,
Mommy


No comments:

Post a Comment