Wednesday, October 7, 2015

59 Weeks Walking and Getting into ALL Sorts of Trouble

Dear Hannah and Nathan, 
Now that Hannah is walking really well, life is very different. I realized how lucky I was to have been able to get away with very little baby proofing with Nathan. In fact, when Nathan started walking, it made my life easier. I even remember the weird looks I often received when I told them that I liked Nathan being more independent and walking. But no, but Hannah is like the typical baby and finds trouble. 

Today has been pretty rough. While most days go smoothly and great, today has been the complete opposite. I feel like I've been constantly putting out little fires, one after another. And when I was prying dog food out of the iron fists of a screaming toddler, I knew that it was early nap time for everyone. Now, I have peace and quiet, and I get to recap the otherwise great week that we've had. Perhaps this will reset me and prepare me for the rest of the day. 

Hannah has been pretty big on accessorizing. You know the function of things and wants to give them a try. Most of the time, you look pretty darn cute. 
 Nathan, you don't look to bad yourself.
 Grandma and Grandpa came to visit this weekend and one of the places we went to visit was the Thinkery on Monday. Now that Hannah is walking, it's a whole new ball game. I was lucky that I had 2 extra pairs of hands because both kids seemed to want to do completely different things. Hannah was into the sand foam, while Nathan didn't want to even step near it.
 Nathan played with fizzy ice.
 While Hannah ran around crazy.
 Hannah got a chance to explore the items on the microscope table, but decided quickly that they were more fun as rattles...oops.
 And then the light room. Everyone's favorite.
 In this fuzzy picture, Hannah kind of looks just like me and obviously the wands were great for stupefying.
 We were lucky to be a part of a music class that morning. Hannah, you really enjoyed it, especially with the freedom to roam around and check out different toys scattered around the area.
 One afternoon we went to Zilker park to ride the zephyr. It was a perfect day, but the view was a bit obstructed by the fences put up for the ACL music festival.
 And then afterwards, Nathan pretty much spent the entire time hogging the fire engine. I had to step in a few times to remind you to give other kids a turn at "driving." Not everyone wants to sit and just ride in the back.

Rewind a few days. On Saturday morning, we all attended a birthday party. (Just 2 more to go!) It was at a park with live music (very Austin-y). The musician had lots of different ethnic instruments for the kids to play along. It was a lot of fun. 
 With a shaker in one hand and a carrot stick in the other, Hannah was super efficient.
 Nathan even got to try and play the steel drums!
 And Hannah loved playing on the playground with all the older kids.
 Later in the afternoon, we went to the wildflower center. Here, Hannah, you started to walk for more than 4-5 steps. You were able to walk about 30-40 yards before falling over. I was so proud.


 You were so happy, full of joy and wonder. You are now able to explore, see, and touch whatever you want.
 And the casting of spells. You guys can't even read yet! I'm pretty sure that both of you will love Harry Potter.
 Nathan climbed some tree trunks. It was just a beautiful weekend. We wanted to stay outside for as much as possible.
 On Sunday afternoon, we went to Sweetberry farm for their pumpkin patch. There, Nathan and Hannah got a chance to pet and meet real horses and ponies. Did you know that a pony is actually a smaller horse and not a baby horse? I learned something new.

Nathan was a little apprehensive around the horse.
 Hannah would touch the pony and then quickly draw away in fear.
 And after watching a bunch of other kids go horseback riding, Nathan wanted to try as well.

Nathan, you stated that you were like the policeman in a book that we recently read.
 Another first was that you actually fed a goat. Usually you try to steer away from feeding anything besides you or me, but after watching other kids feed the goats, you actually walked up to another mom, asking her for some food. We forked out the 25 cents and got you your own cup of feed and I was pretty surprised that you did it.
 Cute tractor pics. Hannah, you were trying so hard to drive and after a few seconds, you got this look on your face like hey, this is not working!
 Nathan, you being much older and wiser, knew immediately that this was non-functioning and decided to play make-believe, creating your own sound effects.
 And how many times do we have to remind you, hug underneath the arms.
 And of course, you wanted a picture by yourself.
 Before we left, I challenged you to roll the pumpkin. I didn't think you could do it, but sure enough, you rolled it a good 5 feet before we stopped you.
 Hannah you sure love your fork practicing sessions. In fact, we sometimes joke, or maybe we are serious about it, how you have better fork skills than Nathan. Nathan still uses hands most of the time.
The Concentration

The Satisfaction.
 Hannah, you are getting pretty good at expressing what you want. Nodding and shaking your head works pretty well for you. Pointing and using your signs for "more," "milk," "sleep," and "bath" seem to help you communicate all things necessary.

We put shoes on for the first time this weekend and so far, you are really liking it. You often will help put your foot into shoes, as well as pants. This morning, you pointed at your tutu and so when I brought it to you, you lifted one foot as if to step into it. I put away a few dishes and when I saw you a few minutes later, you had the floaty on as well as a pair of goggles around your neck. I removed the goggles (strangulation hazard).
 I went upstairs to get some shorts for Nathan and when I came back down, you had pulled another floaty out and you were trying to get that on as well.
You've caused a lot of trouble. Just today, you pushed toys out of shelves, spilled water that Nathan had set down, climbed into the bath tub, climbed up a step ladder to wash your hands, spilled Toddy's food twice, tried to eat Teddy's food twice, figured out climbing down stairs, threw a bunch of stuff out of the grocery cart and fed Teddy a bunch of your cheerios (and cried about it afterwards). I guess most of this is due to neglectfulness on my part, but I can't be watching both kiddos at the same time. I was doing pretty normal things like brushing my teeth, putting away dishes, cleaning up after a meal. I have to up my game.

Well, that's about it for now. I think I'm in a better mood now. Tomorrow, Hannah goes in to get your hips checked. I'm sure things will look fine, but I'm a bit nervous about your left hip. Sometimes I hear it click when I'm holding you. I'll be sure to update that soon.

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment