Wednesday, July 30, 2014

22 Month Old Toddler and Almost @ Week 36 of Pregnancy = Time for Minivan!

Dear Nathan,
It's been a pretty exciting week. You finished off the week strong with Hope and Janie. We found out that even if you nap 30 minutes, you can still be a relatively happy boy in the afternoon. Over the weekend, mommy and daddy traded their Hyundai Elantra hatchback in for a mini-minivan. We ended up finding a mid-level Mazda5 with only 5,000 miles on it. For an extra $400 over what the dealer was asking for a base model car, we got a bunch of extra features like a moon roof, bluetooth connectivity, tinted windows, and a trip computer. You like this car better because you sit higher up on the road and you can look out of the window. You seldom ask for toys anymore, although I think that is going to change after the road is not so special anymore. You also complain less because the hot Texas sun is not shining as intensely on you. We are really liking the sliding doors and the spacious fold down 3rd row. Daddy installed the baby car seat already so pretty soon you will have a partner in crime to sit with in the back. 

On Sunday, we took advantage of the wildflower center's free Tribute day. Daddy got a chance to check out the new family garden and swing area. Here you are showing daddy a few cool things. 

 We spent a lot of time under the shady tree swings. You loved swinging back and forth with Daddy.

Family of 3
 I'm beginning to think that you are a sensory sensitive kid. After reading some articles on this, I've decided that you are to some extent, but not enough to impair your daily life functions. Here are the reasons why I think so:

a) You are sensitive to the texture of foods. Ever since you started solids, I've exposed you to a variety of textures and time after time, you reject veggies that are not smooth or slimy. It's not for a lack of trying, because you will taste different veggies, but spit it out because you don't like the texture. I also think you are super sensitive to texture because you can pick out a texture that you don't like hidden in a spoonful of food. You are successfully able to spit the portion of food which texture doesn't agree with you.

b) You are sensitive to bright lights.  I like to call you my little vampire because you will start to whine and sometimes cry if the light is too bright.

c) You are sensitive to loud noises. Whether it be the washing machine, a fan, or the motor that keeps jump houses inflated, loud noises distract you for a long time. While most people may drown out the sound after awhile, you are constantly aware of those types of sounds. Oh, and places with loud crowds also bother you. I don't know if it's the loud noise or if it's something else, but you would prefer to sit on the side and watch than be within the action.

As each week goes on, you become more and more verbal and this week you are able to express that you are afraid. You will point to the stove or the washing machine and say "Pa pa" which is chinese for afraid. You are not afraid of the dark (yet) nor are you afraid of angry, barking dogs, but you are just afraid of loud noises.

Another cool thing that you are able to do is distinguish between letters and numbers. When you see letters on signs, you will start spouting out random letters. And when you see numbers, you will start spouting out random numbers. In the past few days, you are starting to count in chinese up to 10. You can go from 1-2 (need a reminder for 3) 4 - 5- (reminder for 6) 7-8-9-10. In English, you can count 1- 2 - 9.

You get really excited when you hear the alphabet song and will start to sing along. You know the last letter of each phrase (usually rhymes with "he").

You really like to jump off of things and wrestle with others. Wrestling with Daddy is fine, but many of your girl friends don't like to wrestle. In fact, it makes them upset. So let's just stick to gentle hugs, ok?

Yesterday, while we were eating lunch, you said "A-ma" which is the name you call my mommy, and signed "telephone". So after lunch we skyped with A-ma. I found it very interesting that you remember her, considering that the last time you saw her was a few months ago, and while we have skyped a few times, each time you remember her and will call her "A-ma."

As far as things with your little sister goes, I am feeling pretty huge right now. New stretch marks have showed up and I'm getting up more each night to go potty. I feel her kicks more often, but they are not as strong as yours were. I think it may be due to the fact that the placenta is attached towards the front this time as opposed to the back.

I'm still continuing with body pump classes, but I've reduced my weight significantly just because I simply want to maintain muscle mass, and not gain any. I am also still enjoying the zumba classes, even though I am extremely awkward and can really only go for about 30 minutes before I get tired.

Each afternoon I am napping when you are. I totally remember what it's like being sleep deprived, so I'm getting all the rest I can now before life becomes a bit crazier.

I will probably have little sister's room all finished by next week's post. Then I will post some pictures of it. But for now, here's a bump comparison from week 36 of both pregnancies. I'm definitely sticking out further this time with you sister than when I was with you.
Week 36 with #1 (2012)

Week 36 with #2 (2014)
It was only 2 weeks after week 36 when I went into labor with you. It is a bit scary to think that in 2-4 weeks, we will be meeting your little sister.

Oh, one more thing I want to mention before I end this post. We are thinking about starting to have you transition from the crib to a mattress. The plan is to move the changing table out of the room and place a mattress there in it's place. And if I can find some, I'd like to adorn the bed with Elmo paraphernalia. So what we will do is child-proof the door knob and each night ask if you would prefer to sleep in the crib or on the mattress. For naps, we'll stick to crib until you start asking to sleep on the mattress. Once you are able to sleep on the mattress without falling off, we will bring the frame in and set the mattress a bit higher up and move the crib to little sister's room. We'll see how it all works out. Maybe it will all work out smoothly, worst case scenario is that you sleep in your crib until your college days and we buy a crib for you little sister too.

Well, that's it for now.

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment