Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Peanut Butter Sandwiches = No Good

Dear Nathan,
I want to start out by saying that you are such a strong boy! We had to go to the hospital last night because your body does not like peanuts. It all started out with a simple afternoon snack of 2 sides of bread crust smeared with a bit of peanut butter. After about 5 minutes, you started to get these little raised bumps around your mouth.
 It stayed like that for awhile and it didn't seem to bother you, so I just decided to wait it off and not do anything. We went on a walk and went next door to visit with the neighbors. I went to pick up the weekly veggie box and when I returned, our neighbor pointed out that you started to rub your ears. We examined you closer and you had bumps on your neck and back. We then went over one door down and that neighbor suggested that I give you some benedryl. I didn't have any, so they checked to see if they had some. They only had the children's formula. At this point, you were starting to turn more red and swollen. I was thinking about taking you to the hospital, but not sure if it was necessary. Luckily one of the moms told me, "I would take him to the hospital if I were you." And immediately, I called Daddy and we were off to the hospital.

When we got there, you were a bit fussy, but I am not sure if it was because you were uncomfortable, hungry, or both. The doctors and nurses came in, took your vitals and then put in IV in your arm. You were so brave. The nurse said that you are a very resilient boy. They put the medicine in you, and in less than 5 minutes,  I could see that the swelling had gone down about 80%. I nursed you, you ate some cheerios and baby food and slowly, you started to return back to your normal self. You were very interactive with the nurses. You offered them cheerios and even clapped when you saw them through the window. Everyone said that you were super cute and a great trooper.



Around 8, we were headed home. We had a quick dinner, bath and then you went to bed. It was a long day for all of us.

Other news, you are now clapping and a few days ago, you took your first independent steps. It was only 2 steps from the couch to the coffee table, but you were able to make it across without holding onto anything. You are also standing more. Usually it occurs when you are holding something while standing and then get so excited that you shake the object and forget that you are not holding on to anything. Soon you realize it, and then hold on.

For the most part of this week, you also had a yucky stomach virus. But other than loose stools 1-2 times a day, you were your normal self. The 2 times you had really bad diaper blow outs occurred first when we were on our way to Sprouts and then the next day when we were at Sprouts. Cleaning up diarrhea is not fun. When we were at Sprouts (local supermarket) and I saw your poop face, I got a bit nervous. When I realized that you had stuff up your shirt as well, I panicked a little and I think you could sense it. You started to fuss and I got a feeling like it was a an embarrassed fuss (not sure if you even know that emotion) so as soon as I calmed down and took control, you also calmed down. I pushed the cart out to the parking lot (with groceries in the cart), cleaned you up and went back.

Two days later, you got your one month shots. For the most part, you were ok. You were a bit clingy at first during the beginning of your party, but I think when the adrenaline kicked in, you were back to your old, social, self. There is still a knot from one of the shots on your thigh.

Here are some interesting things that have happened this week:

1. You don't really like your new Thomas pull back train. I think the sound of the motor scares you. Here you are crying hysterically as the train comes your way.
 2. You will find Teddy's duck and hold it out to him for him to grab and play tug o' duck with you.
 3. You really like putting the pom poms back into the container through the little hole on the lid. This is probably one of your favorite toys that you received at your party.
 4. One day, I showed you what button to press. You've been turning the TV on and off since then.
So something pretty cool happened this afternoon. We went on our usual afternoon walk in the stroller. I had prepared a sippy cup of milk for you to enjoy along the way. When we got home, I decided to stop by the neighbor's house to drop off a thank you card so I just put the sippy cup down, parked the stroller, picked you up, and we were out the door. When we got home, I started to look for the sippy cup and said out loud, "Where is your milk?" From the kitchen, I heard pitter patter pitter patter. I followed you and to my amazement, you were holding the sippy cup up towards me and gave me a cute little grunt. You undestood me. I wonder what else you can understand! 

I am so glad that you have finally gotten your appetite back. I was so worried that you weren't getting enough nutrients when you were sick. It really stressed me out. But you are back to eating and it seems like you are even more adventurous than you have ever been. You even wanted to try roasted seaweed and you liked it! Maybe you'll grow up to be a little foodie like me. Until next week!
Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment