Thursday, October 14, 2021

Hailey is 4. Things are never a bore.

Dear Hailey, 
I have more pictures for your milestone post than your older siblings because we spend so much more time together and you are just growing and changing so quickly! 

At 4 years old, you can technically ride a 2 wheeled bike without training wheels, but the bike we have for you is kind of big and you have issues with applying breaks. For now, you are happy to continue to scoot around in your balance bike and we even brought out the tricycle for you to practice pedaling. You seem to have a stronger leg that you prefer to lead with and so for the past few months, we've been trying to help strengthen the other leg. 

I love how I can reason with you. Today I announced to you at pick-up that we were going to get flu shots together. At first you protested, but then after I explained that if you got sick, you wouldn't be able to go to school, you first replied, "That's ok, kids are annoying anyway!" But then I reminded you that you would be stuck at home with nothing to do and that would be boring. You thought about it and then asked if I would hug you for the shot. I agreed and you were ok with getting the shot. 
I don't have a picture of you in your gymnastics getup, but you love to wear your leelee-tard to school. I think it's so cute the way you say it. 


You are not afraid to get down in the gravel and get messy at the playground. This is very different than your older brother and sister. I like this about you a lot. 
You are starting to enjoy board games and the phase of wanting to win is starting to creep in.

And you are one of the most patient kids ever. One day we were going to go to the pool around 2 in the afternoon. When you had asked when we would go, I told you after lunch. After lunch, you quickly dressed into your swim suit and then you disappeared. Around 1:30, I realized I hadn't seen you in awhile, so I started to look for you and I found you here, ready to go to the pool. 


You have a lot of sass. Your "No, Thanks." can sound harsh and cold, sometimes indifferent. But at least you are saying it politely. 


When you turned 4 years old, you were so proud and you literally told everyone you saw (even announced it by yelling out to the people walking on the sidewalk outside).


You love hanging out and helping me...at least you don't mind it. I say you "love" it based on the fact that you announced that a "wow" of the day was helping me mop the floor. 
I am really enjoying this 4 year old stage. I feel like I never was able to enjoy it fully with Nathan or Hannah because they all had to compete with a baby for attention at that age. Now, I can just enjoy this fabulous (for the most part) 4 stage. 


You enjoy your playdates with your own friends. We explore and play for a bit, but then you two usually end up doing your own thing. 





Another favorite friend loves to play hide-and seek with you. You two are hilarious when it comes to playing this game. 
You enjoy going on adventure walks with me. You are now able to go 1-2 miles easily without having to be held. 



You still enjoy playing with either Nathan or Hannah, but never both at the same time. I noticed that when all three of you start playing together, Nathan and Hannah end up doing their own thing and you just drift away and then come find us. When you are playing with one of the kids, you guys can sit and play for a long time. 
Bubbles, chalk, play-doh, drawing, and crafts are your favorite pastimes. You also love Jory John books along with books that are silly. You just learned the concept of rhyming through a book and just recently learned that "elemen" which sounds like element (you hears this from martial arts) is not actually a letter in the alphabet. 
You also love cooking and helping out in the kitchen. Peeling garlic, mixing and chopping chunky pieces are your favorite kitchen activities. 
Sometimes I let you go nuts and make your own creations (with a little bit of guidance) and to my detriment, they've all turned out pretty edible, so now you basically think you are a genius chef who can just throw random things together to make something yummy. 






Whenever you are bored, you ask me, "What's next?" or "What should I do?" I suggest things and you always say, "No Thanks." I've come to realize that when you ask that, it means you want to watch TV. After multiple times of explaining that screen time happens when Nathan and Hannah come home from school, the question seems to pop up less. 

 You continue to love your seal family and still cuddle with "Mommy Gogo" at night. 

Your Ducks class teacher said that you don't talk much in class. She says that you will answer questions when asked, but you never will just join in a conversation. Your gymnastics teacher says you are pretty funny, but you also tend to stick to solo activities. I'm not super concerned right now, but I wonder sometimes if COVID has made you more shy and reserved at school. You are one of the few kids who wear a mask in your classes, but you seem to be ok with that. 

I love you. 

Love, 
Mommy 


No comments:

Post a Comment