Monday, January 18, 2021

10 Months of Pandemic Living

Today marks 10 months of social distancing. I read back to the first few posts from the pandemic and little did we know back then that 10 months later, we would still be in this situation. 

For science this week, we learned about how we classify rocks based on how they are created. I resurrected an activity that I used to do with my students and I had you guys do it too. So teaching other people's children is so much easier than  teaching your own. I used to be able to go through the activity with 30 students in 30 mins. It took the 3 of you an hour and a half. I'll have to admit, you all are quite a bit younger than the students that I used to teach but there was only 3 of you, 3! 
simulating weathering to create sediments



Hailey, we've been keeping a food diary for you over the past week or so and I think gluten and you can be friends. Our ultimate test happened when you sneaked a roll and ate half of it before I even realized that you did. 
The snow from last week helped clear the pollen out of the air for a few days. We quickly took advantage of that and spent some time outside on wheels. 


We had a delivery of food arrive and it included a small piece of dry ice. That evening after dinner, I dropped some of the dry ice in a few glass containers, added some water and soap and you three were entertained for a good hour. 

Hailey, you are still absolutely in love with cutting. Our entire stack of recycling has been shredded by your own 2 hands. Nathan has been complaining because his paper airplane supply has been cut off. 
Hailey, Daddy made you a castle and you 3 spent some time decorating it. When Nathan drew a dragon on it, it really upset you. You did everything you could to cover it up. 
The birdhouses from last week are finally completed. We added the final protective coating and we will be hanging them outside soon. 
Hogwarts Houses

Pink and Purple Princess Birdhouse

Hogwarts Tower

After watching Nathan and Hannah whizz around the house in their rollerblades, you wanted to try too, so we pulled out Hannah's old skates and strapped you in. I actually had you practice taking your first steps on the carpet to get used to the skates. You had so much fun running around and just giggled so hard. Just a few more weeks and you'll be ready to skate on the tile downstairs and maybe you'll even survive the garage. 
I used to be really stingy with the tape, but I've learn to let it go and I even put a roll of it in the materials cart. I'm kind of glad I did because it has sparked so much creativity in you Hannah! You created a dress! Today you also created a belt, with a map holder and some other accessories for Hailey but she's not really interested in wearing those things yet. 
The dress was even one size fits all! 
Nathan, you have become quite the avid reader. I will often find you with your head stuck in a book in the morning before school starts. You have recently completed book 5 of Harry Potter and you continue to beg for me to let you read book 6. I've been very impressed about how you continue to be a rule-follower because the whole series is within your reach and you have not pulled it out to read. You have gained my trust. 

I wish I could say that we have exciting adventures coming up, but unfortunately, we don't. Our COVID rates are at record levels, but hopefully we will see the trend start to drop soon. For now, we will continue sticking with our schedule and try to make each day as fun as possible. 


Until next week, 
Love, 
Mom 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment