Monday, April 27, 2020

Week 6 of Social Distancing

Dear kiddos, 
I can't believe how quickly this time has flown by. As our art gallery expands, I'm wondering how many walls we will cover before social distancing becomes a thing of the past for good. 
 I'm pretty sure that the weather has been the most incredible for spending outside. We've been taking advantage of the cooler mornings and spending as much time outside then before the sun gets too intense.

As I go through each day, it's surprising to me how many hats I get to wear.

1. Nature Guide
We are so lucky to have a forest behind our house with an interesting trail to explore. This one day we spent 3 hours outside. We went on a bike ride and then a nature hike with a scavenger hunt. We were able to find everything except a squirrel (which was what I did NOT expect)...but I guess if I was a squirrel and I heard you guys coming, I would run too.


2. Culinary Teacher 
Hannah, you've requested that we make some sort of dumpling once a week. So, last week we made Chinese BBQ pork buns. I made the filling and you guys rolled out the dough and wrapped the buns.



 They turned out very good!
3. Science/Math/Language Arts/Social Studies Teacher
One thing that has been saving my sanity is to try to come up with a theme that fits both of the big kids' school assignments. It's a bonus if I can include something for Hailey. Last week, both the big kids were learning about life cycles of different insects, so I had Hailey work on a lady bug craft. 
 You guys made and cut up props.
 Collected things from nature,
 While Hailey made multiple lady bugs on her own.
 Afterwards, you even played ladybug family with them for awhile.
 Nathan and Hannah, you both worked outside and created a stop motion video about the life cycle of a lady bug. You both worked independently for 3 hours!
 So Hailey and I even got a board game in.
4. Art / Music / PE Teacher 
The art assignment for the week was to decoupage something, so we painted rocks and decoupaged stamps from my dad's stamp collection onto a few rocks.
 5. Mom
When we finish early, sometimes we play board games.
 The past week, you big kids have been sleeping in a tent outside on the porch. We finally made you guys come in after 6 nights when we found mildew growing on the pillows and sleeping bags. I forgot about the few days of rain and humidity that we got...

So anyways, Hailey also wanted in on the fun, so I fitted a play tent that a neighbor gave us a few years ago onto the crib. Perfect!
6. Martial Arts Trainer
I've taken my very limited knowledge of marital arts from my kickboxing classes at the gym to help you guys with your MMA training. The Sensei and teachers have created awesome weekly videos for you guys to follow, and I simply have to break it down and make sure that your form isn't too crazy.



 Today, we came up with a crazy idea of "Bubble Sparring" or "Bubble Bad guys." Hailey would blow bubbles, and you guys would use your punches or kicks to pop the bubbles. It was super fun for everyone.
7. Dance Instructor
I've also used my skills from my Zumba classes to help coach you Hannah, with your hip hop class routines.

Your dance recital has been rescheduled for June. We received your recital outfit this weekend...I sure hope it will still fit you 3 months from now!

8. Chinese Language Teacher
Another good thing that has come out of social distancing is the amount of Chinese that you all are now exposed to. Hannah is even speaking Chinese! Out of the 3 of you Hailey is now speaking more Chinese than either both of the big kids were at this age. I hoping to continue this so that Chinese school will be easier. Nathan does decently with Native speakers, but I have a feeling that Hannah will have a tougher time. If I can get Hailey to be as fluent as Nathan, I can't ask for more.
9. House Maid
The house is actually more clean than it usually is. During my planned time alone each day, I will try to spend it listening to a podcast and doing some sort of cleaning task. I have figured out that I just need 2 sessions, 20-30 minutes, to myself to recharge.

10. Chef
Daddy is working basically from 8:40 to 5:20 every day. He takes a lunch break, but not an entire  hour. He basically finishes eating, helps with clean up sometimes and then goes back to work until 5:20. Somewhere between lessons, I find some time to prep dinner and then when he gets off, I put it all together and produce something that at least 2 out of 3 kids will enjoy eating.

Today we made granola bars and I let you two add whatever you want to the mix. Hannah, you decided to add dried mangos, coconut, dates, and chocolate chips.
 Nathan, you added cocoa powder, chocolate chips and mint extract.
 They turned out delicious! Hannah, you wanted to add frosting swirls on top (like on Z bars I guess), so we made up some icing and your bestie and you drizzled them on top.

The mantra that I use to get me through tough moments is they will not be this age forever. I love hearing the belly giggle laughs when Hailey, you and I do "su'girl" (supergirl). I always find myself watching in amazement as Hannah, you zoom off on your bike like a bird flying for the first time. And Nathan, I admire how thoughtful you are and how you do everything with so much gusto. 

This time will pass, so I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts. 

Until next week, 
Love, 
Mommy 

No comments:

Post a Comment