Friday, November 9, 2018

Halloween and New Skills at 13 Months

Dear Nathan, Hannah, and Hailey, 
I didn't know time just gushes by so quickly when there's three of you around and so I find myself making this post late again. 

Nathan, you got your first report card and it was excellent. You don't know what one is or what it means so I'm still debating on whether or not I should explain what the report card is. I want you to always do your best, and not just work to get a grade, but thinking back at my childhood, I was always excited to see how I did on my report card. 

You did, however receive the R.O.A.R. award, which I'm not sure what it is for exactly. It says you were an excellent role model, which makes me proud. 
On the night before Halloween, we drove to a nearby neighborhood to visit a house that went all out when they recreated scenes from Harry Potter in their front yard. It was closed to the public, but what we could see was pretty amazing. You guys still don't know about the wonderful world of Harry Potter yet, but I know it will be in the near future. 
 Hailey, you are getting more comfortable with cruising. You like to push things around and you get so excited when you do it. I have lots of videos of you moving around.
 Hailey, remember when you and I crashed Hannah's party at gymnastics? You were a hit. All the kids wanted to come and "pet" you and you absolutely loved the attention.
 The night before Halloween, I had the 2 big kids work on carving a pumpkin by yourselves. I only helped with the final cleaning of the seeds and helped get a few cuts started on the pumpkin. You both took turns holding the pumpkin while the other sawed away.
 You both worked on scooping out the gooey insides. Hannah, you were the only one who was brave enough to grab the guts with your hands.

 You then both worked together to collaborate and draw a face on the side of the pumpkin. Nathan wanted circle eyes and Hannah wanted triangles, so you guys compromised and came up with something even cooler.
 And then you were back to the carving, with one person holding, and the other person carving.
 Here's how it finally turned out. I think it looked pretty cute.
 And when lit up at night, it was even cuter.
Halloween ended up being cold and rainy again. It was clear for about 8 houses and then the rain started to mist and then it started to pour a bit harder. 
 Hailey hung out in the stroller, waving at people as we passed them by.
 When the rain became too much for the costumes to handle, we retreated back to the house where you two had a blast handing out candy and treats to the trick-or-treaters.

 Here's another pic of our family costumes. Not many people got what we were, but that is OK.
 In other news, Nathan, you lost your third tooth! After it fell out at dinner, I pulled up the song, "All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth." You and Hannah thought that the song was hilarious.

On Friday after Halloween, we had a service night at church where we made cards for kids who are hospitalized. As a group we ended up making around 40 hand made cards. 
 One morning Daddy made pancakes for everyone. I had this strong urge to take a picture of all three of you chomping down on pancakes. Seeing all three of you together simply makes my heart full of joy.
 This Sunday, our neighborhood is having a chili cook-off (which I will be competing in) as well as a vendor fair, where kids can also come and be entrepreneurs. Nathan, you have decided to sell your perler bead creations and you have also been working hard with Hannah to increase your inventory.
 Hannah, you really want to sell more lemonade and baked goods so we have made some cookies and I have some lemons ready to go for lemonade.
Hailey, you have mastered climbing up stairs.

 And you have the balance to sit on a rocking horse to bounce up and down, even with no hands sometimes!
 And you've also figured out how to power up the powerwheel atv. Baby, you are on the move!
 Feeding has also become interesting because now you want to feed yourself. I can't feed you, you have to do it yourself. Oh, and tantrums are now a thing. You will actually throw your head back and cry because you are not getting your way. I know it's frustrating that you can't get your way all of the time, but you need to have limits...trust me.


 In the afternoon after we pick up Nathan from school, it's quite the whirlwind. We have Chinese homework to do, meals to prep, screen time to watch and toys to play with. I was very proud of this moment when I had all three of you working on "homework." Hailey, you were so interested in the crayons that I was able to help both Nathan and Hannah with the Chinese.

 So Hailey, we now know that you are allergic to Cashews. On Wednesday, we went to go get your blood drawn for a tree nut component allergy test. You cried hard as the tech put the tourniquet around your little arm, and then after the poke, you quickly stopped crying just like that. I don't even think you felt the needle much, you were probably more bothered by the pressure from the tourniquet.

Afterwards I took you to get some Poke. I put a variety of things on a little plate for you and you delicately tried each item. You really like the corn, seaweed, and cucumber. 
 You know what you like!
 We find out how allergic you are and what tree nuts you are allergic to, next Monday. The doctor thinks that based on how you reacted, it's not a life threatening allergy. On the other hand, Nathan, your lab results came back and you are indeed allergic to protein 2, which is the bad one for peanut allergies. So it doesn't look like you will be outgrowing this allergy.

Well, we have another exciting weekend coming up, full with birthdays, festivals, and a business venture for the big kids. I'll be sure to take lots of pics.

Until next week (+ or - a few days week),
Love,
Mommy


No comments:

Post a Comment