Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Birthday Parties and Solar Eclipse Fun & Pregnancy Week 36

Dear Hannah, 
This week you turned 3 years old. You absolutely love corn and watermelon. You could eat your weight in those 2 things. You are very focused on things and people being fair and you will sometimes stand up for other kids who (for example) have just gotten a toy taken away by another person. On the other hand, you often take toys away from Nathan still, but it is definitely easier to convince you to return it these days. 
You still love to do what Nathan does, but sometimes you will catch yourself and say, "Actually, I want..." and insert your own preference. I think this is a great thing because you are starting to think as an independent individual. I have learned that I really need to stop giving you two choices (for example, do you guys want sandwiches or wraps for lunch) because while you two used to agree on the same thing, these days, it almost seems like you purposely pick what the other person did not pick. 

Hannah, you love pretending that things are family members. Transformer cars, dolls, blocks, and even bottles of sprinkles can be imagined into a family with mommy, daddy, and baby. 

On your actual birthday, we hosted a joint birthday party for you and Nathan. We actually just asked you both to list 3-4 friends that you would like to invite from school, we also invited some neighbors and combined with siblings, it was a good size party. While Hannah, you would've loved to have a princess themed party, and Nathan would've loved to have a Transformer themed party, we were able to make a happy compromise: Lego superheros. Both of you love the Lego superhero shows and reading the books that are based off of those movies.

One of the activities that we had, was a spin off of pin the tail on the donkey. I made it while you two were sleeping, and the next morning, when you two came down, Nathan, you actually asked me if I spent a lot of time making these and if I even got to go to sleep. I told you that I did spend a lot of time and stayed up late making it. and then you said, "well, I hope you are not going to be grumpy today."
 The pool party ended up being a perfect way to stay cool in 100+ degree weather.
 We also had a watermelon eating contest...
 And a brisket nacho taco bar. Using an under the bed box as a cooler was totally a Pinterest win!
 After we cleaned up, we went home, opened presents, and headed out to another birthday party. Nathan's best friend from school had his birthday party that afternoon, so we headed out for party #2, which also involved water.

Hannah (along with other kids) were pretty enamored by the gigantic bumblebee balloon.
 There was a water slide in the back and also a pinata, which is always a hit with the kids...hehe.
 This was a present that Nathan made for Hannah. When we got home, Nathan realized that Hannah had not opened her present from him yet. Hannah opened it and found this sweet picture.
 I guess belly buttons are still pretty essential parts of a person's body. Nathan, you always make sure to include those in your portraits. I love to see how your portraits continue to evolve.

On Monday, we had a few friends over for a playdate, and ended up having an eclipse watching party. Before we went out, we watched a quick National Geographic video that explains an eclipse, had lunch, and then ventured outside, armed with special eclipse watching sunglasses, colanders, and pinhole projectors.

 Daddy also set up the telescope with a solar filter so we could see the sunspots and the eclipse up close.
 The colander was a pretty cool projector.

 I don't know how much you two will remember this day, but in 7 more years, we'll be able to see another one, and I know then, you will remember it.
 Today, you guys started your first day of school at National Elite Gymnastics. When I picked up you two at school, Nathan, you told me that it was "Super, super, super duper fun!"

I'm excited to see what gymnastic skills you guys learn from the program, and whether or not this will be an interest that we pursue further with you both, or one of you.

As far as baby 3 goes, tomorrow marks 36 weeks. Since both of you came 2 weeks early, it's crazy to think that we could have a third child in as little as 2 weeks. At this point, we will be seeing the midwife every week. I'm continuing to see the chiropractor weekly to get adjusted, so I am still feeling pretty good. I'm trying to still keep up with bodypump once a week with reduced weights and zumba twice a week. I usually drag myself into the room, but usually afterwards, I actually feel energized. And then I pick you guys up and as I wait for you both to saunter into your carseats, I can slowly feel the energy just drain out of my body. I already have to leave 10 minutes earlier if I want to get anywhere on time. Will this be extended to 15 once #3 comes?
In addition to my prenatal vitamin, I'm continuing to take Vitamin B12 supplements 1-2 times a day and iron supplements every other day. I feel both supplements really help give me the energy that I need without any caffeine (although I still enjoy a cup now and then, just for the taste).

I don't think the nesting instinct has really kicked in yet. I don't even know where baby's clothes are, I probably need to dig out the newborn diapers and wipes, but there doesn't seem to be any internal sense of urgency to get it done right now. Maybe that is a good sign. My mom is coming on the 18th, so I hope we deliver closer to that day.

If you see me at the grocery store with 10 boxes of cereal and 5 packages of toilet paper, baby will probably be here soon.

Well, that's about it for this week. Until next week,
Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment