Tuesday, October 11, 2016

... (just)... (Hannah is 2Y 8 weeks and Nathan is 4Y 2 weeks old)

Dear Hannah and Nathan, 
The pictures that I'm about to post below were probably the only calm and good days we had this week. I don't know what it was (well, I kind of do), but you guys were CRAZY this week. When I would give you guys a choice about something, for example, whether or not we should go to the library first, or the playground first, you would each pick something different. And then for Nathan, you were extremely unforgiving and didn't want to share anything with anyone. Since you didn't want to share, Hannah became frustrated a lot and threw tantrums as well. 

And then there was the physical: kicking, "casually" bumping into, pushing, screaming into ears; etc. We had lots of time outs and little talks. 

And then there was the post-dTap vaccination side effects that Nathan suffered, which happened to occur on the night when Daddy and I had plans to go attend a live taping of ACL. We had a babysitter lined up and everything! But we stayed home, you needed cuddles and the next morning, you woke up in a way better mood. 

So in the end, I think it was a reaction to the vaccination that caused Nathan to be crabby, and in turn caused Hannah to be more volatile than normal. Hannah still doesn't like to be too affectionate towards Nathan. You don't even want to hold his hand ever. I see so many other big brothers and little sister holding hands, why can't you guys do it too? [sniff, sniff] 

One thing that seemed to calm you down this week, when you started to throw your tantrums was peeling garlic. In the picture below, you started to get upset because I cut your watermelon into small chunks. I immediately handed you a head of garlic and you calmed down as you meticulously picked off each layer of skin. 
 We've been spending as much time outside as possible because the weather is simply gorgeous. This is the reason we live in Texas. We went over to a neighbor's house to play and they let you both borrow their car.
 Hannah still needs a bit help in the steering department.
 And then, this past week was the annual trike-a-thon, which benefits St. Jude's. Hannah walked/scooted around the course.
 While Nathan and his friends zoomed fast around each other.
 That day, I even got to meet up with a few of the Taiwanese mommies for a food truck venture!

On Saturday morning, I went to a parenting class. At that session, I discovered that for the most part we were doing pretty good as far as following the "Safe House" style of parenting, however I feel like I need to be a bit more nurturing. I won't go into too much here, but you can read more about my perspectives of being a mom on my new blog which goes a bit deeper beyond our daily adventures, ups, and downs, here

On Saturday evening, we drove up north to a Hibachi restaurant because we didn't get to on Nathan's birthday. Everyone had lots of fun and both of you ate so much. As we were walking towards our car in the parking lot, Hannah was reaching back and whining, "More rice! more food!"

Both you have been so crabby the previous days that you didn't have much of an appetite, so when we went out to eat on Saturday, you guys were a ravenous bunch. (You two even almost finished off about a dozen roasted chestnuts on the car ride home!)

I have a feeling things are going to be back to normal for now. I am now feeling a bit better about bringing you two out in public and leaving you two alone while I get some housework done. Let's not be crazy again, alright?

Until next week,
Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment