Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Lots of Cognitive Leaps, Including a Crib Leap!

Dear Hannah and Nathan, 
This has been a pretty exciting week. My phone was stolen this week, so I lost some of the pictures that I took from earlier this week. But luckily, I had some pics from the camera and then some pictures from today that I took with my new phone. 

Nathan, this week, you have learned to tell "tall tails." Mostly you blame others for something you did. We had a few lessons and talks about telling the truth, but I know this will be a long process because it's kind of a natural thing for kids to do. For example, you will deny it if you hurt Hannah. Another instance happened when you blamed Teddy for a broken hanger, when happened when you were jumping on my bed (with laundry to be sorted) and Teddy was hanging out under the dining table. Did you know I have a super power that allows me to tell when you are not telling me the truth? 

Hannah, this week, you have learned to be more physical, and yes, I'm talking about hitting, pinching, and throwing thing. I understand that most of the time, you do these things because you are frustrated, because I can see you clench your fingers and wave them up and down with frustration, with a look of "I don't know what to do!" on your face right before you go for the whack. We've spent lots of time in time-out and you seem to know that hitting is not OK. I know you don't mean to do it and that it's almost instinct, but we will continue with the time-outs until you can use your words. Big brother is also working on this right now. 

On the flip side, Nathan, you are starting to learn to be more compassionate. For example, one day I passed out Pocky's (cookies) for dessert. There were 7 in the package, so I gave each of you 3 cookies, saving 1 for myself. When you found out that I only had 1, you insisted that I have one of yours so that I could have more. My heart basically melted, and at that moment, if you had asked for anything, I would've granted it. (Which reminds me, you are currently saving up your coins for a race car. You are pretty convinced that you have enough coins to buy one already... actually, you probably have enough for 2 Hot Wheels). Out of the blue, you will also help Hannah, or give her something in your hand that she wants. Now, there are moments, where you both want something, but for the most part, you'll let her have it. 

Hannah's definitely got some strong problem solving skills. You are able to play with almost all the toys that we have in the house now. You find ways to make things the way you want them. You will push step-stools, climb chairs, dressers, cribs, to get something done. 

Nathan has been sleeping in your room for the past few nights and this morning, he woke me up by yelling, "Hannah climbed out of the bed. She fell out, but she's not crying." Both Daddy and I looked at each other, and said, "Uh, oh." I went upstairs, and noticed that you still had your sleep sack on. You climbed out of your crib with a sleep sack! What? Anyways, I asked you to show me how you climbed up and with a smug/proud look on your face, you happily gave me a demonstration. 

 This morning, we went to Chick-fil-a and afterwards, visited the wildflower center. Today's topic was shapes. You guys did a pretty good job completing the tangram puzzles.



 And then various things with patterns were placed on the tables for you guys to examine with hand lenses.
 This afternoon, while I was cleaning out the office, we built bridges and towers. Eventually, we built one high enough for Nathan to walk through without crouching down too much.

A cool and easy craft that I got off of Pinterest that actually was really good: Salt painting. 
It was a good reinforcement of color mixing for you Nathan. Hannah just liked dissolving the salt off of the paper and washing the brush out. 
 This past weekend, I marched/ rolled in a parade with my roller derby friends and while I was putting away my face paint, you guys asked me to paint something on your face. Hannah, you have never gotten your face painted before, so I painted Nathan's face first, and by the time I was finished, you were begging me to paint yours too.
 You wanted a rainbow. And then you said cat. And then you said teeth. So I painted them all on your face.
We have a busy weekend ahead of us. I'm getting LASIK done, so you guys will have lots of time with dad. Then, we have 3 birthday parties, including one family sleep over, which will be super fun. Next week, both of you also start school, so that will be exciting as well.

Well, until next week!

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment