Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Hannah is 17 Months and We've all got Cedar Fever!

Dear Hannah and Nathan, 
We've been laying low this week due to cedar pollen in the air. Some days are worse than others, but we've been playing it safe by staying inside as much as possible. Hannah's had a runny nose for over 2 weeks, and Nathan has been coughing for about the same amount of time. Normally Cedar also gets Daddy and me, but we've been both using nasal steroids (along with Nathan) and that has helped with easing the congestion. I've been coughing too, but Daddy's been doing pretty good, except for the day after he forgot to spray his nose. We won't make that mistake again. 

Nathan's hearing has become a bit diminished as well. Earlier in the week, I thought it was just selective hearing and that you were ignoring me, but when you didn't respond to questions like, "Would you like some dessert?" I started to think it was something more. It turns out that these allergies have caused some fluid to build up in your ear canal, causing you to not hear low frequencies as well. It should get better once the cedar levels go down and you start to feel better. 

Both of you guys have been a bit more fussy than normal, but I am starting to understand why. It's tough to be happy all the time when you can't breathe. 

We've limited our play times to indoors and after playing Thomas the train for so long, we decided to build an obstacle course. This knocked you both out pretty good for afternoon naps. Too good. Neither of you wanted to go to sleep that evening. 

 Our neighbor across the street had a birthday party and Nathan was still coughing his lungs out. Since the dad also happens to be Nathan's doctor, I felt ok bringing him to the birthday party, but at the party, he was super active, causing him to cough even more and so I'm sure I had a lot of parents upset. Both kids had a blast.


Other new favorites that we play indoors include hockey. Hannah's actually really good at being the goalie. You are able to stop slower rolling balls from getting into the net.
Action shot: Hannah, the rejector!
Recently, Hannah, you've become really interested in playing with baby dolls. You carry the babies around, push them around in carts, and feed them pretend food. It's too cute watching you play.


Hannah, you are also getting pretty good at following directions. You help put things away, and when I drop things, you will help me pick them up. You tend to like order, which is nice.

Nathan is starting to do chores. Your daily chores include putting away the silverware from the dishwasher, and setting the table for everyone before dinner time. You are very proud that you get to fill GLASS cups with water.

Being cooped up inside has been a bit rough on my patience. I find myself snapping at (mostly Nathan) you guys for little things. With 2 children who need so much of my attention, I am having a tough time giving you guys the undivided attention that you want. Usually I'm playing with Hannah so that she doesn't mess up a big boy activity that Nathan is working on, and when I'm playing with both of you at the same time (or trying to get some chores done with both of you playing in the background), my temper can become short (Like the time Hannah decided to stick Nathan's toothbrush into the toilet). I need to remind myself that both of you are still figuring out how things work and act on impulse. You are toddlers, that's what you do.

For the most part, when I do slow down and take the time to explain calmly to Nathan why what he did was not a good idea, he seems to understand and really internalize what I'm telling him. I'm very blessed to have a reasonable son. Hannah, on the other hand, is not very reasonable right now...but that's expected.

Well, that's about it for now. I love both of you so much and I hope that this Cedar will blow away soon so that everyone can start to feel better.

Love, Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment